Friday, August 1, 2008

Once Upon A Time (3)


Jack sat down on a metal chair while Cindy chose the chaise lounge. The big dog immediately ambled over to her.

“Bozo, you’re such a love bunny!” She cooed, bending down to massage the dog’s ears.

“I see you’re well acquainted with the local wildlife.”

“Bozo and I have been great friends this week.” The dog shivered in ecstasy and moved in closer to Cindy. “I’ll miss him.”

“When are you leaving?”

“Early tomorrow morning. My brother and his wife will be back in town late tonight.”

“Oh. I assumed you were a local girl.”

“No, I’ve just taken a week off to help the family.” She kicked off her sparkly flip flops and tucked her legs to the side, half-reclining on the chaise. With a deep sigh, Bozo settled down under the lounger and closed his eyes.

“Did you really have problems with crashers?” she asked.

“Just two boys trying to come in the back, near the gate.”

“Highs school kids?”

“A couple of years younger, more like my son’s age. More a nuisance than anything else. It’s the sort of thing my boy would do too except that, as a cousin, he was invited.”

“Do you have other children?”

“No.” Jack paused. The darkness created an intimacy that allowed him say more than he normally would have. “His mother—his mother and I split up right after he was born. I have complete custody.”

CONTINUED TOMORROW



No comments: