Thursday, July 31, 2008

Once Upon A Time (2)

“Jack Boback.” He clasped her hand briefly. It was warm and soft.

She looked around the darkening yard. Silver balloons bobbed in the light breeze, cicadas sang in the trees, and a large, shaggy dog wandered aimlessly to and fro, snuffling for food scraps in the grass around the barbecue pit.

“But where is everybody? I thought this was going to be a backyard deal.”

“The kids are in the house finishing up with ice cream and cake. We can go wait over on the patio until the show is over, if you’d like.”

Cindy checked her watch. “The girls are supposed to be home by 9:00, but I guess a few more minutes won’t hurt.” She began walking toward the cement slab. “It’s their first boy-girl party too, and their parents were really upset about having to be out of town. I think they were torn between photographing the whole thing and forbidding the girls to go.” She smiled. “So they called me.”

“What do you mean?”

“I’m a police photographer.”

Jack laughed. “That sounds exciting. I’m afraid being just an elementary school principal doesn’t measure up.”

“I’m not so sure. I bet you have your days. You certainly gave me a thrill when I came through the hedge!”


CONTINUED TOMORROW

No comments: