Friday, February 27, 2009

Gay Times

I now realize that a number of my teachers, male and female were gay, but then the field of education, has long been receptive to homosexuals. And it certainly did make for dedicated professionals who weren't distracted by their own families. That old maid school teacher may have been visiting Lesbian biker bars on the side, but in the classroom, she was completely focused.

One of the best teachers I ever taught with was gay. We had office hours at the same time, and I remember once, before I got to know her, a handsome, charming young male student came in to talk to her about how advanced he was and how he deserved special consideration, etcetera, etcetera. I wondered if I should say something to her after he left, but decided to keep my mouth shut. Later I realized his unsubtle flirtation had not moved her in the least.

One of the nastiest teachers I ever taught with was gay. He was well-known around campus for favoring male students and giving female students a rough time. Then he became department chairman and gave female teachers a rough time.

I guess it all evens out, slant or straight.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know, I don't remember ever having any gay teachers. But then, I grew up in a small town - maybe they stayed in the closet.