Friday, March 29, 2019

Excerpt from LEARNING PLEASURE


           "I want us to get married, and as soon as possible."
           Ann’s jaw dropped.  What could she say?   Thanks, but no thanks?   How could she make a graceful exit? 
            She cleared her throat and began.  “I’m grateful to you for giving me a job and for taking care of my father, but-- “
            He interrupted her.  “It won’t be real.  I mean, it will be legal, but I won’t expect anything from you.”  He ran his hand through his hair, which Ann had come to recognize as a sure sign of stress.  
            “Oh hell, you know what I mean—no sex. I know how you feel about me.  I won’t touch you.  Our relationship will be completely platonic.  And we can be divorced anytime you want, just as soon as I have full custody of Aidan.”
            She couldn’t believe what she was hearing.  “Neil, I want to help you get custody of your son, but do you really have to marry me?  I mean, you don’t love me.”
             “Love?”  His lip curled cynically.  “Been there, done that, darlin’.  I’m a two-time loser.  Married for love twice and it didn’t work out either time.  I was crazy in love with Angie.  She told me she was pregnant, which she wasn’t. Then she ran off with some guy who told her he played drums for Willie Nelson, which he didn’t.  Two years later, I met Belinda. I fell in love with her the first time I saw her.  I thought we’d live happily ever after, and you know what happened.”
            He exhaled strongly and shook his head.
            “I don’t love you, Ann, but I like you and I trust you.  I think we can deal well together.  And when you want out, I won’t stand in your way.” 
              “It’s so cold-blooded.”
            “Not cold-blooded.  Intelligent.  Logical.”  He glanced at the sheaf of papers on his desk.  “Charlie and I have been working on the pre-nup.  It’ll mean a lot of money for you.” 
            Ann looked at him in shock.  “Are you trying to buy me?”

No comments: