Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Plain Talk Valentine

Fiorella is coming out of her blue funk and thought you might like to read a Valentine's Day sonnet she wrote a while back.


               Plain Talk Valentine
We're married twenty years--I cannot write
Of unrequited love; I will not pine
Classically away, my life ablight,
If you ignore this plain talk valentine
   Some years ago, my sensitivity
Was drowned in diaper pails; I will not try
To write a lover's fantasy, for we
Are long since past that fluff, both you and I
   I will not sing a siren's song to lure
Your love; we have three children, twenty years
In sickness and in health, for rich, for poor--
We've life and death between us, joy and tears:
     You need not read the valentine I'm giving
     You today--our love is in the living

No comments: