Sunday, February 17, 2019

Another Excerpt from PASSION


Sigrid sat on the edge of her bed and looked around dully, not sure what to do.  Images from the fire appeared on the movie screen of her mind--the flames leaping and crackling, the smoke, the drone of the water hoses, the yells of the firefighters shouting back and forth as they battled the flames. 
The stench of burned flesh.     
Mik rose to leave.  “I’ll turn off the light.” 
A wave of panic flashed through her.  “No, keep it on!” She grabbed his arm. “Don’t leave me!” Waves of shivers ran through her. “Stay with me.  Please, stay with me.”  All her defenses had been burned through, and she couldn’t bear to be alone tonight.
Mik looked at her for one long moment, then came back to the bed, sat down and took her ice-cold hands in his.  
“Do you know what you’re asking for, Sigrid?”  His pale eyes bored into hers.  “If I stay in this room with you, I sleep in this bed with you.”
She knew exactly what she was asking for and why she shouldn’t be asking it, but she couldn’t help herself.  It was hard to always be tough, to never let anything get to you.  Sometimes it was more than she could bear.      
She tried to explain, to make him understand, but couldn’t get the words out right.  “The smell--I saw people with horrible burns--children--there was a child . . . . . Stay with me.”  Her teeth started to chatter. "I need you."   
Mik nodded, then, and slowly, solemnly, drew her into his embrace. His face was rigid with intent.  If she wanted to forget, he could make her forget.  But first he wanted her to remember, and this time there would be no interruptions.

No comments: