Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Halloween Interview

Fio has gathered together her Halloween decorations yesterday and will start the process today. The small plastic skelton will hang from the maibox at the road, and she'll do something clever with the four plastic Tide containers she's accumulated during the year--they're bright orange and shaped like pumpkins. She'll also Scotch-tape the construction paper bats in a swoop from one front window to the other again.

Q:Why do you do this, Fio? Why are you so intent on separating Christmas, Easter, and Halloween to the nth degree?
A: Probably, because my mother usually had a bit of decoration up on these holidays. although I admit Mom whould be horrified at the extremes I go to.
Q: Why do you go to these "extremes?"
A: There's something inside me that insists on it and enjoys the results. Maybe it's my artistic drive, maybe a leftover from my kindergarten teacher, who could make anything out of paper, maybe just to see what I can do.
Q: Do you hope to be lauded and applauded for your decorating?
A: I think I once did, but now I just do it for myself. It took me a long time to realize that most people wouldn't recognize art if it bit them on the nose, that some renowned "expert" has to tell them what is good. Recognition is all about marketing and who you know.
Q: You sound bitter.
A: Maybe I am, but I can't do anything about it so I just keep on going, doing what I am driven to do, not only in my Halloween docorations, but in my writing and the way I live my life.

HERE I STAND. I CAN DO NO OTHER.






No comments: