Monday, May 9, 2022

This and That and All Around

 

 WORLD, be on your guard--

Fio is feeling good today

And that is all, 

She has to say

____________________________________

I am a writer--beware, beware!

I carry a pen with me everywhere

To take down whatever I think I can use

To humor myself and my naughty muse 😄

______________________________________

I'm up in the morning when all are asleep

My pen is  itching and my thoughts are deep,

Plotting and planning my day and my life

To be useful, productive, and free of strife 

_________________________________________

My shirt is orange

My shoes are blue

My slacks are reddish

How about you?

________________________________________

Was just thinking of Beverly Summey today--the belle of Mrs. Johnson's fourth grade class whose looked-like-it-had-never-been-touched-by-human-hand Madame Alexander doll with which she won the class contest while the red-headed, much loved doll for whom your girl had painstakingly stitched a new dress didn't attract much interest. Actually, the contest was also measure of who the most popular girl in the class, which wasn't yours truly. Fio was an outsider--a Yankee who was Lutheran rather than a Baptist, Methodist, or Church of Christ, whose family hadn't lived in Waco for decades, who always made good grades, whom her teachers called on to illustrate the blackboard as needed.

 Surprisingly, in the sixth grade, when we sat at nearby desks, Beverly and I became friends and even performed a little ballet dance in the school auditorium together. Then came junior high and we rarely saw each other. 

Now I wonder if she is still alive. 

__________________________________________________________________________________




No comments: