Saturday, May 27, 2023

Mother

 Your girl has been running back and forth today and doesn't have anything new to say except that she's decided to bring all her poems together and try to get them published. How about starting with this one?

                           Last Lullaby

     I've held death in my arms to comfort her

And stroked her cheek and combed her tangled hair

And sung to her sweet sngs that once were dear--

Old melodies, a children's bedtime prayer

     I've held death in my arms and learned its face

And studied how her shallow breath grew slow

And warmed her limp. cold hands in my embrace

"It's hard, so hard," she said, "I didn't know"

   I've stood beside her peace and counted flowers

And listened to my sleepless brain shriek blood

And wept, regretting wasted lives and hours,

Inimically intertwined in love--

  I've held death in my arms in fear and wonder

  And kissed her, kissed her as one would a mother


By the way, the German word for mother is "Mutter" and the "u" is pronounced oo as in "moon."

No comments: