Thursday, June 5, 2008

A Poem in Black and White

I won first place in my hometown's high school Poetry Day contest because my poem was the only one that met the contest's length restrictions: no more than four lines. I'd like to think they were four good lines, but I don't remember the poem.

I do remember that another girl from my high school won second and a boy from the colored high school won third. Yes, this was back in the days of segregated schools. Thus it was a very progressive of the contest sponsors to invite Moore High students to participate.

The three of us met at the local television station, where we were to be interviewed by whatever noonday hostess was on duty. We talked together beforehand, all a little ill at ease with each other, but acting as though we weren't. The boy was very polite, holding the door for us girls, which we politely thanked him for. I don't think any of us would have been that punctilious on our own home ground, but we all knew we were representing our schools--and our races.

After a few minutes we relaxed and were just three teen-agers, laughing and exchanging stories about our schools. Then the contest sponsor joined us for a few minutes before we went onto the set. She complimented me and the other girl, then turned to the black boy. "Your people have such good rhythm!" she said.

The world turned upside down. No longer were we three teenagers, but two whites and a black.

No comments: