Saturday, March 2, 2024

POETIC REPEATS BECAUSE FIO CAN'T FIND THE POEMS SHE'S LOOKING FOR

 FIO SEEMS TO BE LOSING HER  POSTS, BUT LET'S TRY AGAIN :

Depression

   I pull it round me like a cloak of null,

This numbing void, this fine despair of mine,

This somber blanker folded thrice to dull

The knife-sharp edges of my dark decline--

    I need a nothingness, a time of naught,

A comfort place, an anesthetic  buffer

To suffocate my sense, my every thought

For if I do not feel, I cannot suffer--

    For if I do not try,  I cannot fail

And if I do not care, I'll haven pain,

And if I do not trust, then no betrayal

Can pierce my unprotected heart again,

       And if I do not hope, then no defeat

       Can mortify me in this sweet retreat

_____________________________________


    Suicide

Ah, Dorothy, your choice was much too rash--

There are other options I could recommend

Than poison, razors, nooses, guns, or gas

To bring about a graceful, private end--

   The suffocation of the spirit's one,

On shallow breaths, hope is inclined to smother--

An assault on the heart can get it done

The strangulation of the soul's another--

   Or you still could walk about, though dead--

A lumbering, slack-jawed zombie, hollow-eyed--

You'd grin and bow and nod your foolish head

With no one guessing you're a suicide

    Don't think that, knowing, any would be grieved--

    My own experience is, they'd be relieved

 _____________________________________________

Marionette

Dress the corpse in red and bright

And paint her pretty face,

Tie lines onto her hands and feet

And make her dance in place 


If you hold her jaw just so

And pull it with a string,

Supply a voice and words and tune-- 

Why, she can even sing


Then you can whistle and applaud

Her every sight and sound

Because she is the most alive

Of any corpse around

___________________________



No comments: