Sunday, January 11, 2015

Remembering Elor Osborn

In preparation for tying a red bow around its cotton-stuffed girth, I polished up the Indian elephant Miss Osborn had sent me for Christmas years ago, when I was in grad school.  Elor Osborn--may her name be revered--taught Latin at Waco High, my alma mater. She required  a lot out of me, more than I realized I could do.  She also put up with a lot of nonsense from me, which is part and parcel of the Fiorella package.  And when I made Phi Beta Kappa at UT, she paid for my pin.

I think Miss Osborn would be happy with how I turned out.  When I die, I want that elephant to go with me as grave goods.



1 comment:

Jan Hudson said...

Lucy Malier was my Latin teacher. Remember her well. Every year she hosted lovely toga banquets at the country club for her students. She loved colored rhinestone jewelry.