Tuesday, September 9, 2008

My Name, Myself

A person's name is magic. That's why some cultures do not reveal a person's true name. That's why our christening ceremonies are religious. That's why people get new names in secret societies. That's why Harry Dresden has been able to barter part of his name for greater power, but refuses to divulge his full name, which would give even greater power to the possessor of it.

If someone calls out my name, he commands my attention, if only for a moment. If someone remembers my name, I am well disposed toward him. When I was teaching, I tried to memorize every student's name within the first week, and I called roll religiously. I also regularly called on each student by name for class participation. My theory was that every student deserved to hear his teacher say aloud his name on a daily basis. It showed I knew he was alive.

Our names can outlive us. Centuries ago, a man named Herostratus set fire to the temple of Diana at Ephesus so his name would always be remembered. And it has.

Fiorella isn't willing to go that far, but she is writing a blog every day with which she hopes to set her own small world on fire. Such is eternity.

No comments: