Friday, January 19, 2024

Last Lullaby

    

 Get out your handkerchief because this is the sweetest and saddest poem your girl has ever written

 

     I've held death in my arms to comfort her

And stroked her cheek and combed her tangled hair

And sung to her sweet songs that once were dear--

Old melodies, a child's bed time prayer

    I've held death in my arms and learned her face

And studied how  her shallow breath grew slow

And warmed her limp, cold hands in my embrace

"It's hard, so hold," she said. "I didn't know."

     I've stood beside her peace and counted flowers

And listened to my sleepless brain shriek blood

And wept, regretting wasted lives and hours

Inimically intertwined in love

    I've held death in my arms in fear and wonder

     And kissed her, kissed her as one would a mother

No comments: