Sunday, March 19, 2023

POEMS WITH MEANINGS

 Fiorella's bedroom is so small that she has to manually move her electricity on back and forth between her computer and her newly rediscovered Patsy Cline/Dolly Parton records, which is annoying. Cline and Parton, you say? Those were the days! 

Speaking of rediscovery,  your girl has a couple of her own old, old, oldies for you today, such as:

   

   I walk with sudden dignity  

   I know not why or how--

   All I know is that I know,

   I am a woman now 

___________________________________________

The day was bright with sunshine

The foliage gemmed with green

The grass was far too softened

The sidewalk was too clean

And I was filled with conscientiousness

Of what could not be seen--

    A soul is racked with birth pains

    Before the truth is born

    A sky is rent with heavy rains

     Before the dawn of morn    

 _____________________________________________

To My Children (1996) 

     When I am old, so very old I stink

     Of unwashed underarms and brain cell death--

     So old I shake, my spine and stature shrink,

     I whistle, quake, and rattle with each breath--

     When I am old, so very old I drool,

     And age spots big as elephants appear,

     When I forget my my name and act the fool

     And talk too loud because I cannot hear--

     Even when I'm angry, trapped in rage,

     Become a miser, call each dime misspent,

     When I am cruel and stupid with my age,

     When I reject you, scotch your good intent--

          Remember, once I loved you of my will,

         And in my heart or hearts, I love you still

           

____________________________________________________________                                    


          

    A soul is racked with birth pains

    Before the truth is born

   The sky is rent with heavy rains

    Before the dawn of morn

                                                   

 
_________________________________________________________JBB______



No comments: