Thursday, March 23, 2023

A COUPLE OF FIORELLA'S EARLIER POEMS WHICH DESERVE PUBLICATION

 

 

                  True Grit-itude

You are so kind to always think of me

To let me know the error of my ways

To guide me, chide me, Procrustes bed-ize me

To nip my heels when e'er my footpath strays

     Five minutes alone in an alley, you snit

     And I'll show you how much I appreciate it!

 

And here's a more serious poem:

                 Prayer of the Magus

Dear God, the night has passed, the day begun,

I wake to face the horror of the dawn

The cold blue sky and brazen, blazing sun

Obscure my view; the guiding star is gone.

Last night the star was bright, the vision clear

The pathway certain I had sought life long

I knew my God and Bethlehem was near

So near at last, dear God, my faith was strong,

Now hope is gone; I cannot find my way

I feel a fool, as old men often are--

The dreams of night have been subsumed by day

And I, bereft, alone, I doubt the star--

     O God, dear God, I pray you once again,

     Please, God, please let there be a God. Amen.

 

 

 


 

No comments: