Wednesday, August 4, 2021

More Sonnets

 Your girl came across a couple more  of her sonnets she thought you might like.  

                           

 Lullaby

I've held death in my arms to confort her

And stroked her cheek and combed her tangled hair

And sung to her sweet songs that once were dear,

Old medodies, a children's bedtime prayer

I've held death in my arms and learned her face

And studied how her shallow breath grew slow,

And warmed her limp, cold hands in my embrace

"It's hard, so hard," she said. "I didn't know."

I've stood beside her peace and counted flowers

And listened to my sleepless brain shriek blood

And wept, regretting wasted lives and hours

Inimically intertwined with love

   I've held death in my arms in fear and wonder

   And kissed her, kissed her as one would a mother

  

Love Endures

How long lasts love? Past tomorrow's dawn?

Past hurt and anger, betrayal, desertion, death?

This weakness of the heart--will it be strong

Enough to last the years, yet be true yet?

Life ripens in the lusty sun of youth

And is consumed, but blossoms ever-sweet

To be the springtime baby's first-spooned fruit,

The sustenance of summer, winter's treat.

The music of the song survives the singer

And echoes of itself divinity--

Thus Love and Beauty, Truth and Courage linger

Long past their actors in eternity

     How long lasts love? My love is yours

     As long as Love endures; yes, love endures

No comments: