Thursday, May 9, 2024

Pieces of My Past

Fio found some semi-interesting writings while she was prowling through her papers today, so, of course, she's going to share them with you, whether you want to read them or not, SO HERE WE GO!

1) Graduate students are peculiar creatures, neither fish nor fowl,

    And sometimes the tension gets to them

   November 1987

2) RAILROAD CROSSING

                Eyes that look beside you as you walk down the hall

           Eyes that swivel sideways when you meet on the stair

           Ears that do not heed you when they hear your call

           Ears that do not listen-- because they do not care

               So the helpless go unhelped and the hungry go unfed 

           And oftentimes I wonder as I lie awake in bed

           What exactly would they do  if I shot them in the head--

           Would they still ignore me as they dropped down dead? 

 

3) SHIP WRECK

            Grab a board and hang on tight

            The damn thing's going down!

           But maybe if you've played your cards just right

           You'll take some bastards with you when you drown!

 

4) Three weeks after miscarriage

          Sometimes I wake in the early morning and am sad

          I can't go back to sleep despite the pills, the calming darkness, or the comfort 

          Of my husband holding me close by--

          Finally I leave the bed and go to the kitchen to cry

          And think of the baby we never had



 

  

No comments: