Saturday, July 31, 2021

Sonnet Songs

It's later in the evening, Sonia Dog is grabbing at Fio's arm for attention, and, having been hauling heavy loads of books around all day, your girl is throwing in the towel and going to entertain you (she hopes) with a couple of her sonnets.

QUIET AS THE GRAVE

Quiet as the grave that holds me fast

When death has dumbed the drumbeat of my blood,

Beneath the soundless soil, still at last,

I'll sink in silence toward the muffling mud.

But until then, I'll clatter through your halls

And shout hello to friends and wail goodbye;

I'll laugh aloud  within your stately walls 

And shriek my anger to the sombre sky.

The dead are not notorious for their noise

And I will lie a long time quietly,

So until then, I'll use my loudest voice

And make the whimpering world resound to me

      So when at last I'm muted by the all absorbing ground,

      My unaccustomed silence then will deafen you with sound


LOVE ENDURES

How long lasts love? Past tomorrow's dawn?

Past hurt and anger, betrayal, desertion, death?

This weakness of the heart--will it be strong

Enough to last the years, yet be weak yet?

Love ripens in the lusty son of youth

And is consumed, but blossoms ever-sweet

To be the springtime baby's first-spooned fruit,

The sustenance of summer, winter's treat.

The music of the song survives the singer

And echoes of itself divinity

Thus Love and Beauty, Truth, and Courage linger

Long past their actors in eternity,

     How long lasts love? My love is yours

     As long as Love endures; yes, love endures


No comments: