Saturday, January 17, 2009

Romeo, Wherefore Art Thou?

Husband and I have a very nice balcony opening off of our bedroom and overlooking our back yard.

I had lots of plans for the balcony--sitting there sipping hot chocolate on chilly mornings, lying on a chaise and reading on lazy summer afternoons, looking out over the railing on magic evenings and watching the stars come out.

We did get as far as equipping the balcony with a charming wrought iron table cum chairs from HEB and a lightweight adjustable chaise lounge from Academy Surplus, but so far no chocolate mornings, literary afternoons, or stargazing evenings.

Husband does wander out there every now and then to breathe a little fresh air, care for the bird feeders, and maintain our wireless weather station, but I myself have been horribly remiss. The most I've ever done is sit at the wrought iron table to apply and remove nail strengthener to avoid asphyxiating myself in the bathroom. Oh, and I did lug my laptop out one mellow afternoon and set up shop on the chaise, but it was hard to balance everything on my belly and a fanciful gust of wind made off with the notes I was writing from, whirling them down into the yard and causing me to go into a Lucille Ball-type frenzy of rushing back inside, dumping the computer on the bed, and shrieking for Husband to save my notes before they landed in the fishpond.

But I still love our balcony. It's the romance of it. Maybe someday a troubadour will appear and serenade me from beneath it.

No comments: